- 04.12.2022: GREEN DIET: Panel Discussion
- 29.11.2022: GREEN DIET: Keynote speaker #5: Graham Dodge
- 27.11.2022: GREEN DIET: Presentations of Scientific Papers
- 23.11.2022: GREEN DIET: Keynote speaker #4: Otto Richard Pukk
- 15.11.2022: GREEN DIET: Keynote speaker #1 - Linnar Viik
- 10.11.2022: Dr. Ahmet Esad Yurtsever from Istanbul Gelisim University visited EUAS
- 07.11.2022: GREEN DIET: Keynote speaker #3 - Hendrik Roosna
- 28.10.2022: GREEN DIET: Keynote speaker #2 – Andres Sutt
- 27.10.2022: International education network learns how to teach and study in multicultural environment
- 11.10.2022: International business and education network learned how to practise environmental awareness from Ülemiste City
- 28.09.2022: Introducing the speaker in the academic part of the 10th Annual Entrepreneurship and Innovation Conference, Viktorija Priļenska
- 27.09.2022: Introducing the keynote speaker for the 10th Annual Entrepreneurship and Innovation Conference, Linnar Viik
- 26.09.2022: Introducing the speaker in the academic part of the 10th Annual Entrepreneurship and Innovation Conference, Inga Uvarova
- 26.09.2022: Introducing the speaker in the academic part of the 10th Annual Entrepreneurship and Innovation Conference, Marika Eik
- 22.09.2022: Introducing the keynote speaker for the 10th Annual Entrepreneurship and Innovation Conference, Otto Richard Pukk
- 21.09.2022: International education innovation project ‘Platform for Co-operation Between Schools and Enterprises’ kicks off at Ülemiste City
- 20.09.2022: Introducing the keynote speaker for the 10th Annual Entrepreneurship and Innovation Conference, Hendrik Roosna
- 19.09.2022: The Estonian Entrepreneurship University of Applied Sciences invites you to its Annual Entrepreneurship and Innovation Conference
- 08.09.2022: New cohort of Erasmus+ students from the University of Valladolid, Spain
- 23.08.2022: Orientation week for new international students
- 19.08.2022: Meeting with Kanazawa University
- 10.08.2022: The EUAS and Ülemiste City welcomed a delegation from Digital Economy Promotion Agency in Thailand
- 20.06.2022: The international student grabs an Internship at the Hitachi Energy Estonia AS due to Ülemiste smart city Job Shadowing Day.
- 13.06.2022: ERASMUS+ Staff mobility for teaching. Why go on vacation when work is so much more fun?
- 01.06.2022: The project “Educational and Entrepreneurial co-operation in Future City” creates the strong link between modern educational system and future business
- 16.05.2022: Charity opportunities to support Ukrainian students
- 16.05.2022: Ministry of Foreign Affairs Scholarship 2022 for Postgraduate International Business Administration Master's Programme
- 09.05.2022: Arcada University visit dissemination
- 12.04.2022: News for robotics enthusiasts - a new admission for Autumnt Intake to Cleveron Academy has already started
- 30.03.2022: EUAS participated in the international conference of universities of applied sciences.
- 29.03.2022: Joakim Helenius - video recording of the lecture
- 28.03.2022: Scholarships 2022/23 for international students, researchers and academic staff
- 25.03.2022: Scholarship 2022 for Postgraduate International Business Administration Master's Programme
- 21.03.2022: Estonia: international students and grads add record €16m in taxes in 2020/21
- 14.03.2022: Estonian and Japanese students discussed the future of Ülemiste City
- 28.02.2022: We raise 30 million steps for our schools birthday!
- 21.02.2022: Job announcement: Erasmus+ and exchange coordinator
- 14.02.2022: EUAS attended in University of Stavanger visit
- 24.01.2022: 100 free internships: #Road Trip to Ülemiste City Hub
- 14.01.2022: Materials of the Conference „Building the Virus-Resistant Company“
- 10.01.2022: Universities and enterprises: from thoughtful collaboration to more efficient and profitable entrepreneurship
- 06.01.2022: Highly qualified United States expert recommends that now is the time to dive into entrepreneurship!
- 20.12.2021: EUAS hosted a study visit from Thomas More University of Applied Sciences in Belgium
- 29.11.2021: LIVE Webinar: Introduction to EUAS & studying in Estonia 29.11.2021
- 25.11.2021: Film investment Masterclass with Patrick Fischer (UK)
- 24.11.2021: New podcast series by EUAS alumni
- 23.11.2021: Student discounts at MyFitness
- 22.11.2021: Professor Olga Matthias: you have to know how to interact with data
- 18.11.2021: LIVE Webinar: Introduction to EUAS & studying in Estonia
- 15.11.2021: Japanese professor: the future belongs to companies that are changing the direction of their business, not start-ups
- 04.11.2021: Patrick Fischer's Masterclass for Film and Investment Enthusiasts
- 04.11.2021: Emöke Sogenbits: bulletproof due to the crisis
- 02.11.2021: Tarmo Tael: a business continuity journey ensures the development of a company
Logistics expert Tarmo Tael focused at the “Building the virus-resistant company” conference organised by Estonian Entrepreneurship University of Applied Sciences in cooperation with Ülemiste City on opportunities, how and why to create, and how to improve the business continuity of your organisation.
Tarmo Tael, who has worked more than two decades in the field of logistics, previously in DPD and Itella, and who is now, since last year, working for Lumi Capital described in his presentation personal experiences at different times and in different roles and outlined how every difficulty can be utilised in business.
“A crisis creates the inconveniences necessary for business development and pushes business development to a new level. No problem lasts forever. One day the sun will come out from behind the clouds again. We need to have patience enough to wait for this moment,” said Tael, the Lumi Capital logistics real estate partner. “Each such seemingly ‘bad’ experience has often had more educational value for me than many good experiences.”
He recalled how he took risks during the first crisis in 2008 when he was a young and inexperienced manager and how he later acknowledged how important it is to have a more strategic approach.
“People fail to take certain issues into account and be ready for the unexpected; it is important to plan our activities continuously. I call this increasing awareness when creating the journey of the company,” said Tael.
To improve this journey, he gave some recommendations:
- set a goal, plan activities and start moving towards the goal;
- set metrics and create clear links between the goal and activities;
- plan adequate time and resources for the journey;
- measure and improve actions to increase effectiveness and efficiency;
- update and test the plan;
- don’t forget the contingency and be aware of unknowns.
It is important to analyse your activities afterwards and learn from errors
Tael mentioned that he has met with the attitude “Why do we need all this? We have always solved problems thanks to clever people and we will solve them in future. Let’s instead focus on recruiting clever people,” and concluded that this is not the approach to prevent crises or react to them appropriately.
He brought another example: “We constantly talk about the negative impacts of the COVID pandemic but do not want to talk about the valuable lessons learned and to think about the process. Coming to conclusions with a team creates a basis for dealing with a crisis knowingly next time, regardless of the size or nature of the crisis. Development is born through communication and the exchange of ideas.”
When talking about the trends in his field or the last-mile delivery business, Tael stressed: “This is unarguably the biggest cost driver in the supply chain, reaching 40%. The market has changed and that has resulted in the introduction of new solutions to the market, e.g., parcel machines, that we can consider to be the last half-mile delivery. Pre-COVID about 10 million last-mile parcels were delivered; now that number is already 20 million. We are talking about record numbers, which will certainly grow, but not about record profits. For example, grocery delivery is not yet sufficiently cost effective, though it will be in the future with the growth of volumes and development of technologies.”
Innovation as a rebellion and business continuity
Tael gave innovation as a phenomenon an historic and philosophical meaning.
“What do pirates and innovation have in common?” he asked the audience. He answered: “In the fifteenth to seventeenth centuries, the word ‘innovation’ was synonymous with the word ‘rebellion’ in the English language. Everything was clear: either you engage in innovation and win, or you will die. Today, the same is happening to start-ups. They rebel because they want to bring about changes.”
“Innovation is actually testing things. Testing old things and things that have failed so far. Experimenting, failing, surrendering, doubting, learning, forgetting, testing old things in a new environment or with a new team,” explained Tael. “Let’s say you test 100 things, of which 20 are winners and 80 are losers. What you gain from these 20 is bigger than the loss you make from the 80, so it is still worth it.”
He said that innovation in Estonia was very practical. “Arno Kütt (today the CEO of Cleveron) complained about 15 years ago that Eesti Post did not deliver on time, had poor service, etc. What could be done?
“We cannot talk about one specific robot or innovation model that will win. Many companies wish to resolve the same problem but do it using different technologies. A road is not straight; it has bends. Maybe one day one of them is successful, then the other one is successful on some other day and then, again, they change places.”
Watch the video of the presentation by Tarmo Tael https://youtu.be/lymP3Eaupfw
- 26.10.2021: Web Technician Edward Reeds: I got to learn what is really needed in the field
- 26.10.2021: Film investment Masterclass with Patrick Fischer (UK)
- 14.10.2021: Indian IT student Arpan Dutta on studying in Estonia: I can study what I like here
- 13.10.2021: Through scientific approaches and practices, conference ‘Building a virus-resistant company’ offers opportunities for preventing and coping with crises
- 13.10.2021: EUAS hosted multicultural classroom project partners meeting
- 01.10.2021: EUAS invites to 9th Annual Entrepreneurship and Innovation Conference
- 02.09.2021: Ministry of Foreign Affairs Scholarship 2022 for Postgraduate International Business Administration Master's Programme
- 30.08.2021: Check out the EEK Mainor app!
- 27.08.2021: Opening ceremony of the academic year
- 17.08.2021: Ülemiste City Future Forum 2021
- 13.08.2021: Call for vaccination against COVID-19
- 07.07.2021: Student Story: Melvin Andulile Mwakitwange
- 25.06.2021: Study centre department opening hours during summer period
- 22.06.2021: The 31st class of the Estonian Entrepreneurship University of Applied Sciences
- 19.06.2021: EUAS Graduation Ceremony
- 14.06.2021: Ministry of Foreign Affairs Scholarship 2021 for Postgraduate International Business Administration Master's Programme
- 14.06.2021: EUAS successfully passed institutional accreditation
- 13.06.2021: Team Plyke won the green deal category
- 31.05.2021: STARTERtallinn programme winners
- 27.05.2021: Guest lecture "The Psychology of Agile Development" by Meelis Lang held on 25.05.2021
- 26.05.2021: EUAS Student Story: Mamta
- 14.05.2021: Distance learning will continue with some exceptions until the end of the spring semester (updated)
- 06.05.2021: LIVE Webinar: Introduction to EUAS & studying in Estonia, 06.05.2021
- 30.04.2021: Changes in the study process will continue until 10.05.2021
- 27.04.2021: Webinar Three Universities Exchange: Entrepreneurship
- 23.04.2021: “Women in Technology”: Faith, Passion and Courage to Help Break Outdated Stereotypes
- 22.04.2021: Virtual conference
- 14.04.2021: Changes in the study process will continue till 25.04.2021
- 05.04.2021: A joint project between EUAS and Oita University in Japan paves the way for cooperation between Estonian and Japanese students
- 30.03.2021: EUAS Student story: Kazuhisa Noguchi
- 30.03.2021: Changes in the study process will continue till 11.04.2021
- 22.03.2021: Japan x Estonia, Global Business Pitch 2021
- 17.03.2021: International Social Entrepreneurship Competition 2021
- 18.02.2021: Public Online Lecture by Sabine Rau-Oberhuber
- 15.02.2021: Changes in the study process since 16.02.2021
- 10.02.2021: Seminar “Japanese Economy, Market Features and Business Culture”
- 05.02.2021: Welcome to our University!
- 29.01.2021: Digital Cleanup Day
- 27.01.2021: Global Game Jam Online
- 27.01.2021: Workshop by Dr. Robin Lincoln Wood
- 09.01.2021: The graduation ceremony for the 30th graduating class from EUAS
- 23.12.2020: Season's Greetings from Rector
- 11.12.2020: Changes in the study process since 14.12.2020
- 20.11.2020: Application deadline is coming soon!
- 31.10.2020: POSTPONED!! Workshop "Cybersecurity for Entrepreneurs"
- 23.10.2020: Future City hackathon
- 08.10.2020: 8th annual EUAS entrepreneurship conference
- 23.09.2020: sTARTUp Gaming 2020
- 16.09.2020: Entrepreneurship conference will be held on 8 October 2020
- 10.09.2020: Achievement of the Year 2019 – Cleveron Academy
- 08.09.2020: Preventive measures to control the spread of COVID-19
- 04.09.2020: Important information and FAQ about the COVID-19 virus situation for student
- 18.08.2020: The future of the gaming industry in Estonia
- 09.07.2020: 2020 best theses and graduates with honours
- 24.06.2020: The Student World Fair
- 21.06.2020: The Lecturer of the Year 2020 title won...
- 20.06.2020: Virtual Graduation Ceremony of EUAS
- 17.06.2020: Graduation in a new way
- 09.06.2020: Study: Ülemiste City has the fifth-largest economy among Estonian cities
- 28.05.2020: Conference “Entrepreneurship and Innovation: How To Avoid Getting Stuck In Today’s World” - Call for Papers
- 22.05.2020: EUAS student story: Fletima Andrianne Dias
- 21.05.2020: Ülemiste City announces a thesis scholarship competition for the development of a future campus
- 13.05.2020: Eric Kwayisi: Alumni story
- 04.05.2020: Study and work organization from May 4
- 22.04.2020: How we are coping at the hostel with the coronavirus crisis
- 21.04.2020: EUAS #StayHomeChallenge
- 17.04.2020: Applicants invited to apply for Ülo Pärnits Scholarship Fund grants
- 08.04.2020: Digital Challenge Accepted
- 26.03.2020: Measures of blocking the COVID-19
- 18.03.2020: ABB scholarship program candidacy
- 10.02.2020: Opening ceremony for the 2020 academic year
- 31.01.2020: Global Game Jam 2020
- 29.01.2020: Public lecture: FLOW is the New Place - Revolution in the Customer Journey